22 June 2009

Indie Girl Q&A: Melissa Jackson


We're just six days away from Indie Girl now! Hope you've all marked your calendars and are planning to attend this first-ever-of-its-kind event at THE BLISSFUL this Saturday the 27th from 10 AM - 5 PM.

Today we introduce the fourth of five artists we're proud to showcase this coming weekend, mixed media artist Melissa Jackson.

Q: What would you like to tell customers about your work? What can they expect to see?
A: I will have tons of brand new purses [re-adorned vintage handbags] that no one has ever seen before, lots of new takes on old favorites {like my beaded chandelier crystal earrings}, and possibly even some collage on canvas.

Q: What are some words or phrases that you'd use to describe the style, mood, or feel of your work?
A: Urban Industrial meets Antique Glam.

Q: What or who inspires you as a designer?
A: I am always surfing the net and cruising art mags to get inspired. I love the Impressionists but I also love so many newer artists like Anna Corba, Anna Griffin, Sandra Magsamen, Sarah Lugg, Kaari Meng. I could go on and on about all the awesome women artists and entrepreneurs out there who inspire me.

Q: What goals do you have for yourself as an artist, either short term or long term?
A: My only goal is to keep creating and finding new things to create. If I make money, great, if not, I will do it anyway! I would love to take some art courses at a college.

Q: What's the best part of being an indie artist?
A: I have always been somewhat unconventional, an oddball, so I like being able to be independent and just do my own thing, bringing forth my own interpretations of the world around me.

Q: Where can fans find more of your work?
A: Besides at THE BLISSFUL [who carries Melissa's popular Bibliothèque Bangles], my work is sold at Home Sweet Home [7385 Middlebranch Rd. NE in North Canton] and I may soon have my Etsy site back up and running in the Fall. You can contact me at onebead1@yahoo.com to learn about any possible future events.

Keep watching the blog this week, as we have yet to introduce one artist in our lineup.

Please note that the shop will be CLOSED this Friday the 26th for Indie Girl set-up. See you Saturday at 10 AM! Or feel free to stop in earlier and this week, as Garden Items are now 50% OFF in-store.

No comments: